Windmill Restoration January 2008

Bob started fabricating the main frame for the cap. The original frame would have been made from timber but, as usual, we made ours from steel box section.

We were keen to keep the cap looking as near the original as possible, so all the steel used was matched in physical dimensions to what the original would have been.
We managed to find some old steel wheels on a scrap gantry crane which have now been re-packed with grease and fit neatly to the cap frame.

These re-cycled wheels should allow the cap to rotate smoothly, fingers crossed.
Once the cap frame was fabricated it measured 25’ long x 11’ wide! We transported it to Hereford Galvanizers and had it dipped in one piece.